So you’ve hired an external consultant to help you with your law firm brand. If they are any good, they’ll have worked with you not just to build a great visual brand that involves your brand identity (logo, colours, and fonts), website and marketing collateral but they’ll have taken a more holistic approach, ensuring that the visual brand supports a verbal brand that included the…
Lynn Foley is a Co-Founder, CEO and Partner of fSquared Marketing.
She has 20 years of proven, hands on experience, starting in New York at JPMorgan Chase where she was a Vice President of Client Management and Sales before joining Price Waterhouse Coopers a decade later as a Director of Business Development. These combined experiences led her to the global law firm White & Case LLP as Practice Development Director for their Americas Finance practices with global responsibility for strategic planning for various sub-practices. ￼
She relocated to Vancouver in 2010 to hold the newly created role of Director of Marketing and Client Development at Bull, Housser & Tupper LLP where she was responsible for strategic planning and marketing. There she led the development and implementation of a new strategic plan for the Firm in addition to the creation of a new brand identity, and gained valuable insight into the Canadian market.
Lynn is a member of the Board of Directors of the Legal Marketing Association, Vancouver Chapter and frequently presents on topics associated with legal marketing, business development and digital strategy. She regularly contributes to various legal publications and is a columnist for Slaw.ca. She holds a dual MBA in Finance and Media Communications Management from Fordham University in New York and earned her undergraduate degree in Marketing Management from Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland.
Speaking & Presentations
- Moderated a panel discussion with local communications, legal marketing, and digital marketing experts. The session explored integrated content, social media marketing, and other forms of digital media.
“Set Yourself up for Success with Directories” – LMA Vancouver (Legal Marketing Association) – February 26, 2015
- Moderated seminar for members of the legal community which offered practical advice on working with legal directories featuring Jean Cumming, Editor-in-Chief and Market Director of Lexpert, and Lloyd Pearson, Director of 393 Communications and former Editor of Chambers Global.
“Content Marketing & Social Media as Revenue Generation Tools” – BCLMA (BC Legal Management Association) – February 12, 2015
- Seminar for In-House COO’s and Directors of Administration covering topics including understanding the linkages between Business Development, Client Relationship Management and Social Media
Social Media Planning and maximizing your Content Marketing strategy in today’s legal market
“Core Skills Bootcamp: Looking Forward” – LMA Vancouver (Legal Marketing Association) – November 26, 2015
“Living with CASL – Post Legislation” – LMA Vancouver (Legal Marketing Association) –November 20, 2015
- Moderated seminar for members of the legal community on topic that included effective tactics employed, and difficult questions considered, in working to ensure compliance with this legislation.
“Business Development for Lawyers” – Vancouver, BC. Affinity Institute – December 12, 2013
- Full day conference speaking on “The Current Role of Social Media in Business Development for Lawyers“
“Legal Marketing Skills Bootcamp” – Vancouver, BC. LMA Vancouver – October 17, 2013
- Half day workshop speaking on “Legal Marketing Survival Guide”
“Legal Marketing Skills Bootcamp” – Vancouver, BC. LMA Vancouver – October, 2012
- Half day workshop on Digital Marketing focusing on practical tools to drive revenue.
“Social & Digital Media for Law Firms 2012 – Connecting Revenue and ROI to your Digital Strategy: Video, Mobile Devices & Blogs“ – San Francisco, CA. Hildebrandt Institute and West Legal Edcenter – June, 2012
- Participated on a panel discussing “Metrics Reporting: Connecting Social Media to Revenue Generation.“
- On a panel discussing how to effectively use technology to support your business development efforts.
Press & Publications
The Gen Why Lawyer Podcast – Published MAY 1ST, 2017
Focus: Smooth Succession Means Crafting Exit Plan Early
Law Times– Published APRIL 24, 2017
Should Digital Marketing Be Important to Lawyers?
Slaw– Published NOVEMBER 16TH, 2016
Making the Most of Millenials in Your Law Firm
The Canadian Bar Association– Published SEPTEMBER 28TH, 2016
Legal Marketing Trends for 2016: Chambers, Lexology, ContactEase & in-House Experts Share Their Insights
Slaw– Published JANUARY 20TH, 2016
Ensure Your Law Firm Retreat Is a Strategic Investment
Slaw– Published AUGUST 28TH, 2015
Are Managing Partners Anti-Social? the Survey Says …
Slaw– Published JUNE 18TH, 2015
Law Firm Succession Planning – Is the Client Too Often the Forgotten Variable?
Slaw– Published MAY 22ND, 2015
Trends in Legal Marketing for 2015 – the Experts Weigh In!
Slaw– Published JANUARY 9TH, 2015
Don’t Let Your Strategic Plan Become a Very Expensive Bookend!
Slaw– Published OCTOBER 23RD, 2014
Ghostwriting of Law Firm Blogs – Unethical? Maybe. Bad Marketing? Definitely.
Slaw– Published SEPTEMBER 10TH, 2014
What Do Your Clients Consider to Be “Good Value” When It Comes to Legal Services?
Slaw– Published JUNE 30th, 2014
“Do You Have a Great Canadian Law Firm Brand?”
Slaw – Published MAY 5TH, 2014
“Ensure Your Client Feedback Program Is a ‘Client Listening’ Program”
Slaw – Published MARCH 6TH, 2014
“Outsourcing Legal Marketing Practical tips for working with external consultants“
BCLMA Topics – Published WINTER, 2014
“Rumors of the Death of Client Alerts Greatly Exaggerated“
National Law Journal – Published FEBRUARY 1ST, 2011
In a Previous Life
Some Posts by Lynn
Looking to grow your law firm? You’ll want to do two things. Provide excellent legal services, that’s a given. And connect those services with clients. In a recent post, “Successful Law Firms Keep Marketing Simple“, I discussed the importance of ease and convenience in influencing client decision-making. Here, I’d like to offer 5 ways for how you can make it easy for clients to choose…